Friday 11 February 2011

Another session lith printing in the darkroom

This time I thought I would try the LD20 lith developer at a greater dilution and use it warm - so I mixed up a litre at 1+14 using water at about blood heat (37 degC).  I had to guess the temperature by feel as the darkroom thermometers only go to 30!

I had expected the results to be more 'lith like' but I feel the prints have come out colder than the ones last week when the dev was at 1+9 at 20 degC.  I really like the texture that has come out in the trees in this more contrasty print (originally exposed for 40s at f/8) - the more dilute developer gives a longer window of opportunity to choose a snatch point.

40s at f/8 - snatched when foreground tree texture was right
I revisited the garden shed/greenhouse negatives again.  I am producing multiple copies of all the lith prints both to experiment with the process and to provide material for subsequent toning sessions.

Exposed for 40s at f/8 - dev 1+14 at about 35 degC

Exposed for 80s at f/8 - dev 1+14 at about 35 degC

Anyway, I've ordered some more FB paper (Fomatone Nature MG) and a different developer (Rollei Vintage Creative Superlith).  When it arrives I'll see what the resulting prints look like.  It seems that all devs and papers give subtly different effects.

Ooh! The excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment